Thursday, October 9, 2014

Mom Uniform Required?

I recently received a comment that stated my look (specifically a short skirt) was inappropriate for no other reason than the fact that I was now a new mom. What do you think?  Does motherhood mean all sex appeal should be removed?  Here are my thoughts…

1. Practicality – In most phases of life, and yes certainly the new mom phase, a good amount of practicality in a wardrobe is needed.  I figure my readers have enough sense to know that I’m not wearing a mini skirt for walking the dog or going to work, but that those looks are certainly evening attire looks!  For times when more practical fashion choices are needed, I often go with jeans or a maxi dress.  In addition, I love my heels, but I always keep a pair of flats with me so I can easily get more comfortable if needed.  Below are some of my practical mom-on-the-go looks.

DSCN9243 DSCN8911 DSCN9229 DSCN9028 DSCN9161

2. Appropriateness – I figure those reading a fashion blog would be more concerned with my style and fashion choices than my personal life and what they deem “appropriate”.  Personally, appropriateness is something I would never judge for someone else because it depends on so many things, such as location, age, profession, and personal style.  Appropriateness also depends on what you’re doing.  As mentioned, I have more casual MOTG looks, but I also have evening and work looks.  For work, I wear pencil skirts, dresses, and suits.  For casual, jeans and maxis.  For lounging around the house, you’ll find me in workout wear.  And for out on the town evening looks, yes, I often wear short skirts or fitted dresses.  In addition, I do share looks on this blog that are just for fashion fun.  I love to play around in my closet, mixing and matching different looks – and will share pics of looks I love, but didn’t actually leave the house in that day.  Some of my post baby evening looks below.

DSCN9254 DSCN9117 DSCN8994 DSCN8898

3. Self-Image – Any woman should know that getting comfortable in your own skin again after pregnancy can be extremely challenging.  Instead of hiding and letting insecurity win, I choose to embrace my curves and my body for what it is.  I have no interest in becoming a frumpy mom or changing my entire personal style now that I have my daughter.  I’m so very proud to have a mother who not only took the best care ever of her family, but also of herself.  She is still wonderfully fit and beautiful!  I can only hope to be that kind of mother and to show my daughter that she can be a confident, competent, and caring woman and that she should be herself and love herself at any and all stages of life.

24 comments:

Nina said...

You look great honey. xx

http://ninasstyleblog.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You said it all. Enjoy your style and don't let anyone change you.

Glenda From-FashionPhases said...

Hi Londyn, don't listen to negative people and their advice because you look fabulous and I love your fashion style! Life is too short to dress boring. If there is a fashionable piece that I love and looks great on me I will wear it :) To me everyday is a fashion show xo
www.fashionphases.com

OXANA MUA said...

You look absolutely gorgeous!

OXANAMUA | Beauty & Fashion & Lifestyle | NEW POST! Autumn Uniform

Melissa said...

I feel the same! Just because I'm a mom(and a SAHM) doesn't mean I can't look nice and fashionable. I bring out the killer heels and sexy dresses when I go out with the hubby or for date nights at home.
I will say that my style has changed to be a bit more practical now that I'm chasing a toddler around. Gone are my high heels(I stick to under 2 inches, but thats mainly due to knee problems), shorter dresses/skirts unless I can wear them with tights(don't want to be flashing anyone while chasing the toddler), and everything needs to be able to be thrown in washing machine.
I don't understand the mentallity of once you're a mom you need to live in oversized dirty shirts and sweat/yoga pants and never look presentable.

August Weekend said...

Fashion and clothing is an extension of ourselves and our expression. Becoming a mother doesn't automatically mean you have to change the way that you dress. Body confidence is such an important thing and I wouldn't be surprised if the comment made to you was out of jealousy or envy that despite having a child recently you're still able to rock some very fashion-forward and lovely looks! I love all the outfits you put together :)

www.augustweekend.com | Jenn

Nequéren Reis said...

Post maravilhoso amei o look
Blog: http://arrasandonobatomvermelho.blogspot.com.br
Canal de youtube: http://www.youtube.com/NekitaReis

Anonymous said...

Women can be so mean to each other... Just because you're a mom does not mean you can't or shouldn't enjoy looking sexy wearing whatever makes you feel good.

Im Andrea said...

Amazing outfits, you are stunning in every single one of them!

http://justohana.blogspot.com.es/

Elle Sees said...

where whatever you heck you want! you look amazing and it is always tasteful. there's nothing hoochie or inappropriate about your style.

Mica T said...

Such a well written post Londyn! :)

You looked amazing before and during your pregnancy. You should keep wearing all your clothes and sticking to your style, it's nice to have a little "something" to make you feel happy, even if it's as simple as a pretty dress or skirt! :) After being up all night with a baby, sometimes you need a little pick-me-up in the form of a pretty outfit! :)


Away From The Blue

Elegance and Mommyhood said...

First of all you always look amazing, pre, during and post pregnancy so those nay-sayers are just jealous, negative people. Secondly, one of your best-written posts, seriously. I agree with you 100%, especially with the 3rd paragraph. Being confident as a mom (especially as a new mom) while still taking excellent care of the baby is important. Trust me I know. And I have gotten my own fair of criticism for what I wear as a Mom. But if I let it get to me, it would be counter-productive and pointless. I stay true to myself and my style while also adapting to my new life-style as a Mom and SAHM (mostly). You have had many wonderful looks after having Ava. Your evening looks are some of my favorites. They are sassy, bold and fun - like you.

Have a Great Weekend Pretty Lady. So nice catching up with you. E-Mail me sometimes. Let me know how is life now that you are a Mommy. Aren't little girls the best?

P.S. Longest comment ever, I couldn't help myself sorry. LOL

<3 Ada.

Londyn said...

Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement!

Londyn said...

Thanks Glenda - I love that - every day a fashion show!! :-)

Londyn said...

Agree and yes, will be interesting once she starts walking!! Thanks for sharing :-)

Londyn said...

Aww, thanks Jenn - I agree it is a form of expression!

Londyn said...

You're so sweet :-) thanks Elle!

Londyn said...

Yes, clothes can be a great pick me up!! Thanks so much Mica (hot mamma!)

Londyn said...

Ha! I never mind long comments and thanks so much for sharing! I agree - staying true to yourself is the most important thing.

Kasmira said...

What a jerk! I guess that now you've fulfilled your female obligation of bearing a child, you're useless for anything other than child care. (No miniskirt required!)

I hope you disregard that comment and continue to dress in a way that makes you feel good!

Londyn said...

Right?!? We feminists need to stick together ;-)

Chiconthrift said...

Always amazing outfits by you. People's opinions should never deter you from looking good.

Roxy Cole said...

Love your blog and have followed you!! Would love it if you could check out my new post and leave feedback
Love Roxy ! Xxxx

Sheila said...

Woo! I love this post! I would have been deeply disappointed if you'd abandoned the minis, the heels and the sexy clothes for that frumpy mom look. Stay true to yourself, and be the awesome role model of confidence for Ava you are!