Thursday, August 12, 2010

Clothing that lasts

Salmon Key-Hole Top: Mosaic.  Skirt: Mossimo.  Polka Dot Ruffle Peep Toes: Fioni.  Blazer: Kenneth Cole.  Earrings: Anne Klein.

DSCF4893DSCF4889 

I’ve had this top forever, but haven’t worn it in ages.  Some people swap out their closets all the time, but I’m definitely not one of those people.  True – I add a lot and do swap out things that don’t fit, don’t flatter, or are seriously out of style, but for the most part I really do keep the majority of my wardrobe for numerous years.

Ability to do this depends on a few things -- keeping clothing in good condition, and purchasing items that fit well and are good quality. (I have my trendy, not as quality pieces too, but I don’t expect them to last that long…)

If you do this, then you can continue to make use of older pieces by mixing those clothing items with newer purchases.

Tips for keeping clothing in good condition:

  1. Invest in quality hangers
  2. Hand wash and dry clean as directed. No cheating!
  3. Use gentle quality detergent and oxyclean or bleach for fighting stains.
  4. Store clothing in an area that is free of damaging elements such as smoke, dog hair, cat claws, etc…

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post.
Do you send your clothes to the cleaner or wash, dry & iron yourself?
I do it myself but some clothes need more tender care :) than other pieces.
I prefer to buy best quality materials but many of the companies prefer to sacrifice the quality to asure low prices. Thats not good :(

Jodi said...

Holy smokes!! this outfit looks so awesome on you.. the color of the top and the cute neckline.. I love it!!!

Rebecca said...

The salmon color looks great on you.

Shannon said...

I love this outfit. The top is such a perfect colour for you!

Kate said...

I love this post - supercute outfit, and a great list!

My favorite clothes-lifespan-extension technique is simple: air dry! Tumble drying seems to make clothes wear out faster than anything; I hang-dry everything except underwear, oversized tees, and some pyjama pants.

sundaze said...

LOVE this outfit! The salmon looks amazing on you.

Lorena said...

The skirt!
The skirt!
Love the skirt !

Sol said...

I love the skirt, and yes i have some thing for over 10 years, especially jeans and black clothes, they never go outof style. Looking great :)

Carla said...

love it love it love it!!!
and great post!!

Miss T said...

Just wanted to let you know that your writing doesn't show up on reader because the font is the same color as the background. Love your blog btw.