Thursday, February 4, 2010

Black & Khaki Combo

Top: INC.  Skirt: Moda Int’l.  Tights: Simply Vera.  Boots: Chadwicks.

DSCF3856fkjlds; thumbnail thumbnailCA49D61X

I love the blend of black and khaki – maybe it seems boring to some, but I like it.  It feels reminiscent of Jackie-O to me.

jackie

I was also very happy to wear this skirt today as I finally got it tailored to fit me better.  I think I have to tailor at least 30% of all the clothing I wear (yes, my seamstress and I are fabulous friends…), but it’s worth it!

I tried to tailor my clothing myself for a while, but it just never turned out that great.  I figure that I pay enough for my clothes – I might as well have them fit right and look as best they can (therefore I keep them away from my clumsy stitching hands).

It’s important to remember that it’s not the person that is shaped “abnormally” but it’s the clothing!  Thank goodness we are all unique shapes and sizes!  Now – for all people out there with ill fitting clothing – find yourself a seamstress of your own.  Trust me, you’ll be thankful.

12 comments:

Beatrice said...

I love this color combo, too. These pieces make it all so elegant in its simplicity! That skirt is fab!

Wicked Thrifty- Formerly The Thrifty Stylist said...

super cute. i love a square neckline. i should have things tailored more often- i have a lovely seamstress 'round the corner who has put a few zippers in. it would mean i could find pants without always having to search for ankle or petite!

Cat said...

Pretty pretty! As usual....

~Hurricane B~ said...

I agree, whole heartedly, especially if you find something that is a lil big on a sale rack. HELLO just get it taken in a bit. =) I like the combo too. I just got a really sweet looking pair of boots, they are pretty popular over here in Europe. I get looks when I wear high heels. I went to Ikea yesterday, wore my cage shoes, I was like one of 3 women not wearing boots. Crazy.=)

Rachael said...

Ooh, lovely!!

Melanie said...

What a great comment about it's not the person that is shaped wrong, it's the clothes! I love it.

Sal said...

What a fabulously chic, elegant outfit.

Totally Inspired said...

I like khaki and black as a combo too. but im not sure why i dont wear it more often.. i know that i still havent found the perfect khaki pants to wear (thats such a challenge).. the color combo is so clean and crisp.. i likey!

OH.. and the taylor is a must. I took a few things.. and then when i went back for the second time the ladies asked me... "Did u loose weight or something?" .. i told her.. "not really, this crap just never fit right to begin with", lol!!!

Roxie said...

I'm a huge fan of black and Khaki. You look great.

I also totally agree about having items tailored to fit, it really makes all the difference in the world.

Sarah said...

What kind of alerations do you get? I don't get things tailored because I don't know what to ask them to do. I do hem my pants but other than that I am lost. Please help!

Londyn said...

Sarah - maybe you are one of the lucky ones who actually don't need to do a lot of tailoring!

Typical areas that need tailoring are:

1. waist (this is my #1 tailor necessity!)

2. length (not only pants, but skirts & dresses too) - also can refer to length of sleeves

3. body width of dresses or suit jackets - taken in (or let out) on the back hem lines

4. hip / thigh area - some may need this taken in, some may need this area taken out

5. chest or neckline area (as women clearly come in all different sizes for chests - this is a common change as well)

Sarah said...

Great thank you Londyn! I don't find many tops that fit me but if I take them to the tailor then I can just buy what I like and let the tailor make it fit me perfectly. Now I just have to find a good taylor.

Thanks again!!