Monday, December 7, 2009

Making it work

DSCF3652DSCF3655

Pattern Dress: BCBG.  Purple Vest: Express.  Tights: Vera Wang.  Purple Suede Ruffle Booties: Dollhouse.  Handbag: NY & Co.

Working with your your wardrobe often takes a bit of time and thought, but it is well worth it!  I’m a firm believer in closet clean-outs, but I also think that you can make unworkable pieces work if you just think about them a bit differently.

I love this sleeveless BCBG dress and bought it for a great deal from Macy’s, however the armholes are a bit big for me.  Eventually, I’ll take the dress to the seamstress to be fixed, but in the meantime I’m able to “make it work” and find that I can wear it best by layering a cardigan over it (and today – a vest as well!).

This brown sweater is actually quite small for me (I’m convinced it shrunk…).  I can still button it, and it probably looks okay, but it’s just not comfortable that way so I don’t typically wear it like a regular buttoned up cardigan.  To “make it work” I keep it semi-closed with my dress belt, but otherwise leave it unbuttoned.  Wha-la! My stomach can breath  :)

Lastly, my new ruffle booties fall into the “making it work” category not because something is wrong with them, but simply because they were not initially the purple booties I was craving.  I actually found 2 pair of purple booties that I absolutely adored, but both pair were over $100…  Since I’ve recently made some larger home purchases and since it’s nearing the holiday shopping time – I  just couldn’t justify the spend.  Low and behold, I found these purple puppies for $35 @ DSW!!!  They are almost as fabulous as the others I had fallen in love with, and are much easier on my pocketbook.  Now there’s making it work!

16 comments:

sheila said...

SW--EEEET outfit! LOVE the shoes. And the ones in your sidebar. This is something I could wear, considering I have the 'mommy pouch' and won't be rid of it anytime soon. (and my youngest is 15, lol, how sad is that?)

Thanks for finding me, you've got a great blog! Too bad we had to meet over my neighbors privates though! ha ha ha

Juli Ryan said...

I love your style!

SHOEGAL said...

Those boots are great! Fabulous find!

Julia said...

I love this look, and your hair looks precious curled like that! Those colors are great for you, and I especially like how you've tied the sash. You always look so classy!

xx

Autumn Rose said...

I like the dress and love the purple booties. I have a fear of color, but those cute booties would help me conquer it. The purple makes my black and brown shoes seem so boring.

Kathryn said...

What a cute way to use that dress.

Kropka said...

Oh wow...I love it... shoes are very interesting ;)
Greetings

La Historiadora de Moda said...

This is a fantastic look! I love those purple booties!

Becky said...

This outfit is all kinds of RIGHT! WOnderful textures and color pairings! Makes me want to play dress up in my own closet :)

WendyB said...

Adorable shoes.

Kasmira said...

Is this the first wearing of the purple booties? They are adorable!

K said...

I have some purple booties that are very similar to yours. Except mine have ribbon bows instead of the ruffly goodness your have. They are so awesome! And thanks for sharing how you make things work because I know sometimes I give up on an item without trying to think of new ways to wear it.

FashionAddict said...

Great layering here. Very cute, especially those shoes!

Indy said...

FABULOUS shoes! I'm so having shoe envy right now!

Sam said...

I absolutely LOVE this outfit! Head-to-toe, gorgeous!

wardrobeexperience said...

gorgeous outfit. love the colours so much....

thanx for commenting at
http://www.wardrobexperience.blogspot.com/