Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Fashion Goes to Fitness




I've gotten several questions over my blogging "career" about my fitness routine, so I am finally taking the time to give a somewhat more comprehensive follow up!

I've always been a fitness girl - ever since my junior high days when I started playing volleyball and got into the routine of daily exercise. I don't exercise daily anymore, but try to get in at least 3-4 workouts a week, whether a quick 10 minute ab video or an hour and a half kickboxing class.

Of course there are the common known essentials to get before starting a workout routine (good tennis shoes, water, supportive bra...), but I am adding a few additional essentials of my own --

#1 Londyn Workout Essential: Ipod
It is so motivating to have music when working out. It energizes me and makes the time fly (particularly if at a gym on a machine like a treadmill or elliptical).



#2 Londyn Workout Essential -- On Demand Exercise

I LOVE on demand exercise! Many cable companies offer this and it is such a nice way to switch things up. You can typically choose from a 10, 20, or 30 minute routine. It also allows you to choose what area you want to work - buns and thighs anyone???

In addition to On Demand, I always keep my exercise DVDs close by -- I'm a big fan of "The Firm" workouts



#3 Londyn Workout Essential -- Motivational reading!
I often go to the library and check out new health, wellness, and fitness magazines. To read about others' successes, tips and tricks, etc. always keeps health and wellness on the mind, and keeps me feeling like being active. I recently purchased Ellie Krieger's 12 week action plan to "eat well, stay fit, and feel great". I love it and would recommend it to anyone.



#4 Londyn Workout Essential -- Weights
I workout with larger weights at a gym, but like to have some options for at-home workouts as well. I have 3, 5, and 8 pound hand weights as well as ankle weights. These always come in handy for quick strength workout and for using with workout videos.



Now to workout specifics -- MY ROUTINE

RUNNING

Whether it's walking, jogging, running, treadmill, stair-climber, or elliptical....just get out there and move! I love walking and/or running outside. The smell, the wind, the sounds -- everything is just soothing and calming to me, so I strive to keep this kind of activity at a minimum of 2-3 times per week.



AB WORKOUT

Ab workouts are essential! I typically do a variety of crunches, some yoga/pilates poses, and some standing bends. Also, push ups are great for tummy toning as well. I do a 5-10 minute ab routine about 3 times a week. However, abs are an area that's okay to work everyday, so if you're up to the challenge, make it a daily to-do!






WEIGHTS
Some women shy away from weights because they are afraid of getting bulky. I am the complete opposite -- I love doing weights! They make me feel powerful, toned, and sculpted. I don't have as much definition as I used to, but would love to get back that muscle. It is very rare for a woman to get bulky, so embrace the weights! Muscle helps burn fat, so make it a priority. I try and include some weights in my routine about 3 times a week. I target all of the arm muscles and also use weights with lunges and squats.




LUNGES, SQUATS, etc.
Remember to smile when doing these.........because they hurt! I typically do lunges, squats, bent-over rows, butt lifts, and calf raises 2-3 times per week. They may be painful, but they're worth it!



I hope this was useful information for all you fellow bloggers interested in health. Tomorrow - back to fashion :)

14 comments:

Kerri said...

I really enjoyed your post today, now if I could be just as motivated as you! I never would have guessed you to be the type to have your belly button pierced! Do you have any others? Just curious!

Londyn said...

LOL! I do have a more edgy side that just doesn't get shown to many... that side of me is definitely hidden away when it comes to the professional setting!

I actually have 8 piercings, though I won't tell you where they all are....

Honeybunches of Roses said...

great post!

Kayla Linzy said...

Thanks for the post! I love exercising but rarely get the time to do it, and my motivation is lacking.

Agata Natalia said...

Whoa,that's impressive! Im too much of a lazy bum to work out regularly.I usually just do some sit-ups or push-ups while watching the telly :)

Christina Lee said...

thanks for the ab portion- I aspire to wear what you are wearing in that first picture!

Sheila said...

8 piercings? Holy smokes!

Love seeing and reading about your workouts, Londyn! Good for you for keeping it up. I'm not a naturally (as in, life-long) athletic person - it's all come to me later in my life - but I love moving my body and seeing what it can do. Having muscle means so much more to me than being "thin".

Cristina said...

Well now we all know how you keep that FABULIOUS body. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to go workout now:)

Sher said...

8 piercings! Wow! You do look great, really fit :)

fashionafterforty.blogspot.com

tastymoog said...

I just came across your blog... and this entry is reminding me that I need to get back into my old exercise routine! I intended to do some pilates tonight, but am instead drinking wine. I did get a brisk walk in after dinner, at least. :)

Ellie Krieger is great! Now all Food Network needs is a show devoted to vegetarian cooking and I will be happy... well, I already watch food network religiously so it would just be icing on the low-fat-vegan-gluten-free-organic cake. :P

Kerri said...

I want to know where your other piercings are! Ive been thinking about it myself, and just havent done it yet!

Kasmira said...

Those pictures cracked me up! My workout clothes are so ugly. You have the cutest ensembles.

Londyn said...

The pictures crack me up too! -- Imagine me fake running in the dining room........ LOL! :)

gaby said...

Thank you for posting this! Its definately a motivator to work out and take better care of myself :)