Sunday, March 29, 2009

Closet Post # 2



I've been getting some more requests to see My Closet, so I decided to do Closet Post #2.



I organize my closet by item type and then by color. My main categories are: 1) skirts, 2) dresses, 3) work/dress pants, 4) jeans, 5) long sleeve shirts, 6) blazers, and 7) short sleeve shirts. By having the same item types and colors together, it makes it quick and easy to pick out an outfit each morning when I have only a blurry picture of what I "kind of feel like wearing" in my mind....!



Above is a close up of my long sleeve shirts. -- Black, black & white pattern, white, white & pink pattern, pink, burgundy, red, green, green & pattern, blue..........etc.





Ah, shoes... Yes, they are my obsession. I never by shoes to match an outfit -- One reason being that I have enough shoes to match pretty much anything, but secondly, I believe it's easier to mix and match shoes to an outfit than people think! Shoes can be a statement -- they don't have to "match", so no reason to buy them specifically for a single outfit. The only time I would buy-to-match would be for a fancy occassion dress.





Let me just say that I do not know what I would do without my jewelry armoire! It is so handy to have everything easily laid out each morning -- it's all about making fashion fast and easy! Again, I try and arrange items by style and color (i.e. pearls together, chunky necklaces together, etc...).

My belts are hung behind my closet door on a towel rack sort of contraption, and my purses are actually hung in my front closet with my coats and tennis shoes.

23 comments:

Sheila said...

Wow, that's an awesome closet! Your layout is very similar to mine. I am envious of your jewelry armoire (I have 2 large jewelry boxes, plus assorted small boxes).

The shoes...the shoes...what size are you??

Amber said...

What a great closet!! I wish I could be so organized!

GingerSnap said...

Wow, that is quite a closet!

Anonymous said...

Can I ask you how big is your condo? How much is closet space and did you have a special closet designer. I love your closet and love your daily blog.

Life Methodology said...

I admire people who can keep their clothes in such order. Btw, great shoes collection!

Anonymous said...

Londyn - I need your expert fashion advice. If I wear a tan sweater dress and matching tan pumps, would you wear brown tights, or nude hose? I feel that the brown tights are a little too dark, and the hose a little too light.

Londyn said...

Anon - I would definitely wear something with color, otherwise the all tan look with nude stockings could be a bit "blah".

Why not try a brown or army-green tights with a cutout pattern? I find that tights with cutout patterns (like fishnets) aren't as harsh as having a solid color on the legs can sometimes be.

Let me know what you decide on!

Londyn said...

Other Anon - My condo is average in size. 2 bed, 2 bath, etc... It just so happens that the master bedroom had a nice big closet that I was able to have all to myself - thank goodness my boyfriend was nice enough to suggest that he take the smaller closet in the second bedroom!

Actually, when we first moved in and I hung up all my clothes - the clothes rack collapsed....... My boyfriend was able to put up the rods and cubies that are up now. We just got the supplies from Lowes!

Susu said...

Thanks a million for sharing these ingenious ideas with us. Fashion made fun and easy... in an active gals life - I second that!

Shante said...

Thanks for posting!

Mets GirLL said...

OMG..I want to live in your closet!!

*Diane* said...

your closet looks amazing!

Eyeliah @ stylesymmetry.com said...

Magical!

Honeybunches of Roses said...

I am also envious of your jewelry armoire. I have been looking everywhere for one and I can't find one. I settled for a jewelry stand. It basically holds on the boxes and bags for my jewelry. Your BF did a good job and your closet looks great.

I have a huge closet, but not as pretty and organized as yours :)

sabina said...

How frequently do you take an inventory of your closet and donate/sell/purge it? Do you have any rules for purchasing clothing (i.e. for every new thing you purchase, an old thing is donated/sold/purged)? Do you have any other rules, like, "If I haven't worn this in XX months, it's gone!"?

xo

Sabina

Milly said...

i also hava a jewlery armoire which i bought on sale at JC penney....i love it!!

Fabulously Broke said...

I am.. wow.. speechless. Looks JUST like my old closet before I purged 50% of it

My jewellery however, is a lot more than that, but I haven't been in one spot long enough to really hang up my necklaces and arrange them the way i used to.

Your shoes are also FABULOUS.

Am posting this :)

Fabulously Broke in the City

"Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver."

Candycane said...

OMG your so organized - and all those shoes!!!!!:O

sauvageblue said...

Love your closet, my closet looks like it exploded within itself, smile... I need to get organized!
You have inspired me to make a effort to get my closet organized, smile...

Londyn said...

Sabina -

I don't have any specific rules, but I do a closet clean out about 2 times a year in which I try everything on to make sure it fits, feels good, and is something I still want to wear.

In addition I do put some items aside randomly through the year as I try them on and find they just don't work anymore.

I let my unwanted pile grow for a while -- and then off to Plato's Closet and Goodwill!

Carla said...

I love your organization!!!oh and your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna said...

I am the new owner of a jewelery armoire and I couldn't agree more...how did we ever live without them?
I'm jealous of the size of your closet, you are a lucky gal!

Jodi said...

ohhhh I am so envious!! Look at your big walk in closet.. wow... I only wish I had something like this.. and of course the fabulous clothes to fill it!! Thanks for posting this!!
j